Using Notice and Note in the Elementary Classroom

notice-and-note

Using Notice and Note in the Elementary Classroom

Hey, y'all. Have you read Notice and Note or Reading Nonfiction? Both books are by Kylene Beers and Robert E. Probst and are FULL of amazing reading strategies for aiding comprehension in students.

Our district adopted a curriculum that focuses directly on these strategies. But because things MUST be color coordinated in my classroom, I made my own anchor charts for my students.


With these strategies, students need space to talk things through and show their thinking. By now I'm sure you know how much I love using notebooks in my classroom, so you won't be surprised to see that I made a set of tabs to go along with it.

notice-and-note-readers-notebook

Each signpost has its own tab, mini anchor chart, and reading response prompts. There are actually two sizes of prompts but only the full sized ones are shown here. 

notice-and-note-readers-notebook

If you're not familiar with the signposts yet, the fiction ones are Contrasts and Contradictions, Aha Moments, Tough Questions, Words of the Wiser, Again and Again, and Memory Moments. Nonfiction signposts are Contrasts and Contradictions, Extreme or Absolute Language, Numbers and Stats, Quoted Words, and Word Gaps. 

notice-and-note-readers-notebook

I did my best to explain these concepts in primary student language. The question prompts are geared towards second and third graders, but some high firsties could use these as well, and they'd be just right for fourth grade, too.

notice-and-note-readers-notebook

I also wanted to have a quick reference cheat sheet for my kiddos to use so I made these bookmarks to go with them. They can be copied back to back, used separately, or even taped to students' book boxes, folders, or response notebooks so they don't lose them.

notice-and-note-bookmarks

If you'd like to learn more about this unit, you can check it out in my Teachers Pay Teachers store here. I'm always adding new resources so be sure to follow me on TPT for the latest updates, ideas, and resources. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week. I'll talk to you soon. 

Stay cozy, 

1 comment

  1. Hey Rachael,
    I use Notice and Notes with my third graders and find it so powerful! Thank you for sharing this resource. I'm looking forward to using it.
    John

    ReplyDelete