Five for Friday (9/16/16)

1 comment

Happy Friday, y'all! I can't believe we've already been in school for a MONTH! Time is flying by. I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share what's been going on in this neck of the woods. 

We started our first round of science rotations this week. So far the kids and I have been LOVING IT! One of my littles said, "I was totally learning stuff!" We work our rotations like this: 


I love this format because whole group lessons can be extremely challenging in the afternoon when my kiddos are all wiggly and antsy. This way, they get moving, I can see exactly who is understanding each topic, and where we still have questions. 


Our first round of science stations was on weather. You can check out the units we're using here. This week's focus is on weather tools, layers of the atmosphere, types of weather, etc. Next week, we'll move into cloud types, the water cycle, seasons, etc. 




One of their stations was to create a shelter for a Lego character to keep the weather off of him. I was pretty impressed with this little toilet paper roll mansion they made. Check out the front entryway. 


If you like that format, stay tuned. A lot more units are on their way. I'm also working on a few social studies units that follow the same setup, like this Election Unit.


We've been working hard on learning our multiplication facts this year. We took a break from our regularly scheduled curriculum to play a few hands on games with some friends from another class. They are doing AMAZING.  These games are from Jillian Starr's Multiplication Mega Pack. 


Halloween erasers make every math game better. :) 



I'll be starting a course tomorrow on Mathematical Mindsets. Our district received a grant for several teachers to take this year-long course for free! I'm excited to get started. Have you read this book? What did you think? 



In class, we started reading Wonder this week. If you haven't read this yet, you are missing out. I'm trying so hard not to cry in class, but it keeps getting tougher and tougher as we go along. My class is so sweet and they totally sympathize with August. This has been a great read for us. 


What are you reading to your class right now? Let me know in the comments, then head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!


SaveSave
SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the science center explanation! I am trying them in my classroom this year, and I love the ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top