Five for Friday (8/5/16)

2 comments

Hello there! Happy August! Can you believe the summer is over?! I start back with training on Monday and the kids come back shortly after. Where did the summer go?! Part of me is super sad to see it end, but more of me is excited to get back into routine and meet my new kiddos. I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the final Five for Friday of my summer. 

We had one last little summer hoorah last weekend. The kids and I went to South Lake Tahoe, which is a little touristy town on the boarder of Nevada and California. It was crazy busy but the weather was wonderful and we had a great time. 

Towards the end of our little visit, I saw this sign and I just had to go in!


Y'all, it was AMAZING! There was original artwork from Dr. Seuss himself, a life-sized statue of the Lorax with his "Unless" quote, 3D versions of Dr. Seuss characters to hang on the wall, and so much more! I could have spend thousands in there ('cause none of it was cheap!), but I restrained myself. If I ever win the lottery, though, I'm totally going back there! (BTW, they had other artists artwork there too, and it was gorgeous, but they had me at Dr. Seuss.) 


Have you started setting up your classroom yet? I started in July (mostly to get the stuff out of my living room) and worked on refinishing this bookshelf and picnic table for my new classroom. They used to be black and now they are almost a blue jean color. I love how they turned out and the picnic table will be perfect for flexible seating. Now to get them up to the school...




The table and bookshelf will go perfect with my new calendar set. I also made some Meet the Teacher signs and forms to make Back to School night go a little smoother. It has supply labels, transportation forms, getting to know you forms, signs to show parents where to go and what to do, treat toppers for any grade and any snack, and even matching teacher information cards. I am in love with this set and can't wait to use it soon. You can get a set of your own here.




You checked out the Teachers Pay Teachers sale earlier in the week didn't you? I know I did! I grabbed a couple of back to school goodies (among other things) that I can't wait to use! I grabbed this set of community building activities from Jillian Starr (that friend finder activity is too cute!) and this Getting to Know My Shipmates set from Jessica Tobin (mostly because my school's mascot is a pirate, but also because it's adorable).

What is your favorite back to school activity? Let me know in the comments below. 

My new school uses Google Classroom, which is a new resource for me, so I downloaded 50 Things You Can Do With Google Classroom. Do you use Google Classroom? If so what do you think about it? Pros? Cons? Let me know in the comments below. I'm curious to find out how it will work in a 3rd grade classroom.



Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy the last few minutes of summer before heading back to the classroom. Don't forget to stop by Doodle Bugs Teaching to check out some more amazing ideas from other bloggers. Have a fabulous day!


2 comments:

  1. I love the color of the picnic table! One of my favorite activities is to put the kids in groups, and give each group 100 straws and a roll of tape. Without talking, they must work together to build the tallest free standing structure they can using just those two items. If they talk, you take a straw away! It's a great lesson on team work, and it also shows them that there can be many different ways to create something! It also gives you a good look at which students work well together, and who will need help with collaborative learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link on Google Classrooms. I'll have to check that out! I too love the color of your new table and bookcase! You've been busy! Have a great school year.
    ~Joyce
    1st Grade Pandamania

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top