Explore Like A Pirate: The End

Leave a Comment

Welcome back to the final chapter of Explore Like A Pirate book study. This chapter is so short and sweet, I felt it better to share some of the takeaways from the book here instead. (If you need a refresher, you can read previous posts here.) 


Take away #1: Game-based learning is fun. 
Kids are already gamers, they understand what gaming is all about, and game-inspired course design meets them where they are. If designed and presented right, your kiddos will be engaged. I see this being a huge draw in late-elementary and higher grades where students begin to lose some motivation to "do" school. In primary grades, I can see this being done on a much smaller, one day or one week long unit. This would definitely be a challenge to keep it going for a full year in kindergarten. It would have to be super simple.

Take away #2: It can be as simple or complex as you'd like. 
Older kids can handle all the side quests, Jeopardy games, items, points, etc. For younger kiddos, I would keep it much simpler: brag tags for achievements, points, class awards, mini-quests, etc.

Take away #3: You can layer this over what you already do.
We already use brag tags (we call them pride tags) in our class for achievements, and our "points" system is Class Dojo. Gamifying the class would just tie everything together. Creating teams or "houses" would add that collaborative element to keep the community building going.

Final thoughts:
I don't know if I'm ready to go all out on gamifying the class for the whole year. I will probably tie what I already do together to unify everything, but I don't think my littles could handle a point system, a money system, and items over a whole year just yet. However, I am thinking of ways we could turn a Fun Friday into a one-day game. Stay tuned to see how it goes.

Thank you for going on this journey with us. It definitely gave us lots to think about. What do you think about gamifying your class? Let me know in the comments below, then check out what other bloggers had to say about it. Thanks and have a great day!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top