Five for Friday (2/19/16)

3 comments

OMG! What a week! This is one teacher that is thankful for weekends! I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her weekly Five for Friday linky.

We've been working hard this week on our Valentines math centers. I know Valentines is over, but with a super hero theme, we're stretching it out for all of February. And they love it! Math center time is when they are the most engaged, and I have seen amazing growth this year!




We've been learning about fractions whole group, at they are loving using Skittles and M&Ms to find parts and wholes. 


We have flexible seating in our classroom, but this ball did not make it out alive. Pencils and stability balls do not mix. Good thing it was only $5. 


We are one big happy family in our classroom and I let the kiddos work pretty much anywhere as long as they are actually working. Yesterday, they hijacked my horseshoe table because they all wanted to work with me. <3 One asked me if I'd be his 2nd grade teacher next year. (Melt my heart!)



We've been testing reading levels and skills pretty much since we got back from winter break. But yesterday, I FINALLY finished! The last of the DRA testing is complete! I was so impressed with how much some of them had grown. It's amazing!



We've been learning about Texas symbols and significant people this week. We put together a book about some of the state symbols. They L-O-V-E-D making a book to take home and show their families. 


We did a write the room activity to learn about more Texas symbols...


…and made a cowboy/girl glyph to go along with it. (Check out more of my Texas resources here.)


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you had a fabulous week! Now swing over to Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun.


3 comments:

  1. I've hearing/seeing sooo much about flexible seating lately... but definitely not at my school. What do you do if students AREN'T working? Are they then restricted to a desk seat?

    Sarah
    Years That Ask Questions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made an anchor chart about Smart Choices and Sad Choices. If a student makes smart choices (uses the space appropriately, doesn't disturb others) he/she gets choose where they work. If they make a sad choice (bothering others, screaming, not working, etc), then the teacher chooses that student's work space. I have had to choose seating for a couple of kiddos that just couldn't focus on their work, but most of the class works well choosing their own seating.

      Delete
  2. The feeling after finishing all of your DRA2's is the best!!!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top