Five for Friday (1/29/16)

3 comments

Happy Friday, y'all! What a week! I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!


We started the week off with the new Class Dojo videos. The kids loved them!



With this, came a discussion on what we need in our classroom in order to be successful. I asked them a few questions and had them reflect on what they needed in order to be the most comfortable and successful. Then, they were instructed to draw or write out what their "dream classroom" would look like. We researched different classroom styles online and talked about how we like to sit/stand/lay down to work. Based on their answers...we set up flexible seating! I picked up a couple stability balls from Five Below and aired them up enough that they could still sit on them but not bounce them very much.



We also lowered a tabled group to the floor. I plan on adding some rugs or cushions, but for now they're pretty happy. This has been the girls favorite spot so far.




We raised six desks to standing hight and all the boys want to work here.


I was hesitant to try flexible seating with this group, but so far it's been amazing. I watched one guy move several times during the course of one lesson and utilize each and every option. Part of me wanted to tell him to pick one spot and stay there, but the whole point was so he could work in the manner that worked best for him. For this guy, he needed to keep moving. (If you watch him anywhere, he's ALWAYS moving!)


In math, we've been working on shapes. This little dude did a fantastic job manipulating shapes to make new ones. I love having the kids show their thinking and take over the pen.



And in science, we've focused on water and different sources. The kids were each secretly assigned a water type and had to illustrate their word. We then sorted them on the board. It was super simple, but it helped me easily identify who knew the water types and who didn't.



My February math centers unit is up on Teachers Pay Teachers and it's full of super heroes and sparkly jewels—lots for both boys and girls for Valentines.







Thanks for stopping by! Now swing over to Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun!


3 comments:

  1. I love class dojo and the videos are a great idea! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lowered table looks great - I'm sure it'll be a big hit! Everyone raves about Class Dojo - I keep meaning to get into it but I keep forgetting!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your flexible seating pictures! I have started to try it out in my classroom too and the kids are loving it so far. By the way, your student desks are so cool!

    Kristi
    Teaching in the Tropics

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top