Five for Friday (10/2/15)

1 comment

Happy Friday, y'all! Today was apple day in our class and it was SO. MUCH. FUN! We roped all our apple crafts and things into one jam-packed day.

We've been studying states of matter and heating and cooling. So we kicked off the day by making applesauce. It's super simple if you haven't done it already. Just throw some chopped apples, a little water, and a hint of brown sugar in a crockpot and go. We talked about how the apples were solid, but with the heating process, it turned it into a liquid. (Sorry, I didn't get a picture.)


We also blew up some apples. 


While they were at lunch, I hollowed out a little bit of the core of a few apples. When they got back, they dumped some baking soda and magic juice (vinegar with food coloring) into it. We discussed the solids in the experiment, the liquids (the vinegar), and the gas it created. They went bananas! It was awesome.

When we weren't experimenting, we were crafting. Check out their awesome artwork.



You can get the Johnny Appleseed directed drawing from First Grade Blue Skies


Yesterday, we did a simple experiment with states of matter by pouring Pop Rocks in a small cup of water. We talked about the gas created by the mixture and did this simple science notebook page.



Next week is all things fall so I made a simple number order task card set for math time. There are four different skill levels included and two different answer sheet options. You can pick up a set of your own here.






So that's my week. Stop by Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love apple sauce (and I love a good crock pot recipe). I wish I would have been in your classroom today!... I'm sure the kids loved it!

    Confessions of a Modern Day [ex] Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top