Five for Friday (10/16/15)

5 comments


We had parent conferences on Monday. I had several parents tell me they didn't have any/enough books at home (or books in English) for their child and asked if I would send some home. I send home guided reading books regularly, but I also designed a simple check-out system for my students to borrow books from our class library. I made one sheet for students to keep in their book bags, and one copy for me as a backup. Click on either of the pictures below for your own copy.



We studied sound energy this week, so we borrowed a set of Boomwhackers from the music teacher and investigated during science. A few groups were even able to compose a simple tune during that time and perform for the class.



In math, we worked on comparing numbers. Check out these beautiful alligator teeth chomping the bigger number. She even drew scared faces on the numbers.



Today was Bat Day in our classroom. We went batty for all the bat stuff and I need at least one more day to get it all in! 

We retold Stellaluna and wrote the beginning, middle, and end on these cute bats.



When they were done, we hung them in our library and called it the "Bat Cave."



We labeled a bat…


…and did a bat directed drawing. 


I love their color choices for their bats. We had bats in every color of the rainbow...

My school is in a high-poverty part of town and many of my students don't have the resources at home to complete their homework. I spent part of the week gathering supplies (some from donors) and assembling supply kits for my kiddos to take home. They're nothing special, but at least they will have some basics to get them started.


That's our week in a nutshell. It was crazy busy but tons of fun. Stop by Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun.

5 comments:

  1. That's so sweet of you to make those packet for your kids! Love your Bat Day activities! :)

    ♥ Stephanie
    Fishing for Education Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bats! Looks like the kids had tons of fun :)

    Stacy
    Made with Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 is a great idea. I'm in the same situation, and frequently kids don't have gluesticks or crayons at home. Love your bat activities!

    Sarah
    Years That Ask Questions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea with the check out pages so that you can keep track of them! Love how you send books home with your kiddos though. Hope your conferences went well other than that! Bat day sounds and looks like it was a lot of fun!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have conferences coming up this week. I think it's great that your kids will have the materials they need to do their homework. They're blessed to have you.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top