Teacher Week 15: Favorite Subject

2 comments

Happy Friday! We're back for the last linkup of the Blog Hoppin' Teacher Week linky! Each day this week, we have posted about a different topic. If you've missed it, you can check it out here. Don't have a blog? Instagram it or Facebook it using the hashtag #teacherweek15. Today's topic: Favorite Subject.

I have to start off by saying I love every subject. I love reading and I love math. I love science and I love getting the kids excited about all of those things. But I think my all time favorite subject is Social Studies. Why? Because in primary grades the big ideas are holidays and being good citizens.

One way we teach being good citizens in my classroom with with Ron Clark's Essential 55. In our classroom, he is known as Mr. Manners, and everyday, Mr. Manners has a different concept for us to work on. I'm working on a project to have the manners posted in our room with the focus concepts so that we can easily refer back to them throughout the day.


We also use the prescribed Second Step curriculum and basic practice times for taking turns talking, etc. 

I love holidays and all the excitement they bring, so teaching about the different holidays is best thing ever! We make something for EVERY event, talk about the origins and how people celebrate in different cultures, and decorate the room for that event. When I can integrate the social studies concept into other subjects, the kid are engaged with it all day!

Stop by Blog Lovin' for some more Teacher Week fun!



2 comments:

  1. I love Ron Clark's work!!! I want to go to the RCA sooooo bad!! And integrating content areas into every subject is a great way to keep the kiddos engaged in learning!! Great read and happy Friday!!

    Jessica
    Pride and Primary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go with you! I've been wanting to go FOREVER!

      Delete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top