Five for Friday (9/18/15)

5 comments

We had several big events this week. First, we started using our center management necklaces for reading and math centers. I adapted the idea from Sharing Kindergarten's Daily 5 necklaces and it worked like a charm! 



We're still working on matching the color on their tag to the color of the center, but we're getting there. 
Open house was last night. It was a much smaller turnout than I would have liked, but it did give me a chance to answer some specific questions parents had. 



My class is insanely wiggly after lunchtime which makes whole group instruction nearly impossible for more than 5 minutes at a time. (And even then, it's pushing it.) SO…I tried out a new science setup.


It was AMAZING! I was able to work with a small group on an experiment while the rest of the class went to two stations a day.
We worked on sorting matter into solids, liquids, and gasses this week in our newly formed science centers. They caught on quick and I can't wait for next week's science centers. :)



(I love invented spelling, don't you?)

Today, we celebrated Talk Like a Pirate Day. We reviewed the sight word "are" by doing a torn paper activity, we read a bazillion piratey type books, made treasure maps, played pirate math games, wrote about being a pirate, and created our own pirate boats. The kids had to count how many "pirates" (pennies) could fit in their boat without sinking. Our best boat held over 70 pennies!





Stop by Doodle Bugs Teaching for more Five for Friday fun!

5 comments:

  1. Your approach to teaching science is SO SMART. We have science at the end of the day. My students are often much more distracted at that time. Your approach would work so well. I love it. I think I'm going to try it out next week. Thanks for sharing!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I started this. They could not sit still AT ALL! I only give them about 8 minutes in each station and cleanup time in between is minimal so it all goes really fast.

      Delete
  2. I have teacher goals of incorporating science as well as you do! I feel like it's an area I always have to cut short with my kids. In love the ideas you have in place though.
    Kayla

    The Chalkboard Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your center necklace idea! I do have one question though. How do the students keep track of which centers they have done? Do they check them off somewhere? Or do they not have to do all the centers in a week? Thanks in advance!
    Your pirate day looks like so much fun! I completely forgot about it - oh well, maybe next year!
    Crystal
    www.crystalclearteaching.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They check them off with a Visa-vis (so it doesn't rub off so easily). They have to go to all 8 stations in the week's time (Monday to Thursday) in order to do the "Fun Friday" stuff. If they don't have all their centers done, they do them on Friday while everyone else gets fun time. One student at the end of the week gets to use one baby wipe to clean all the tags for the next week.

      Delete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top