Must Read Monday: Modern Fairy Tales

4 comments

Happy Monday! Only two more Must Read Monday's till school starts! This week's focus: Modern Fairy Tales.

One of my FAVORITE modern fairy tales is Bubba the Cowboy Prince. This is a HILARIOUS version of Cinderella. Bubba is cowboy who gets picked on by his "wicked step-daddy" and step-brothers. When Miz Lurleen plans a ball to find herself a prince, the Fairy Godcow takes care of Bubba, making sure he can attend. But poor Bubba looses his boot at the ball and Miz Lurleen seeks out to find her man. Disclaimer: This book is a thousand times better when you read it with twang! (Every year I get, "Ms. Coe, why do you sound like that?" when I read this.) I read this every year during our Texas/rodeo unit and we compare and contrast it when we get to fairy tales. 

Another beauty is The Three Ninja Pigs. We read this during our ABC countdown at the end of last year on N day (for Ninjas—we wore ninja masks too!). The kids were rolling with laughter! It's told just like the Three Little Pigs, but in rhyme and with ninja moves. What could be better? 


If you like this one, you'll love Ninja Red Riding Hood. After the three ninja pigs start teaching everyone ninja skills, the Big Bad Wolf starts taking some classes of his own. He thinks he Little Red and her Grandma will be easy to get now, but Wolf is in for a big surprise!


If you are looking to quickly add to your collection of fairy tales, I found this A-MAZ-ING set of books on Scholastic.  It includes The Boy Who Cried Ninja, Cinderelephant, Goldi Rocks and the Three Bears, Little Red Hot, and Goatilocks and the Three Bears. All five books are only $12! (No, I do not work for or represent Scholastic, I just really like this set.) All five books are modern, funny versions of classic fairy tales.


The Boy Who Cried Ninja: No one believes Tim when he says strange things are happening at his house, so Tim goes on a mission to find out what's going on. 

Cinderelephant: The elephant version of Cinderella. My daughter used to call her "Ele-rina" (like ballerina). 

Goldi Rocks and the Three Bears: The bears are holding singing auditions for their band. Could Goldi be just what they're looking for?

Little Red Hot: The cowboy version of Little Red Riding Hood, and another book begging to be read with twang!

Goatilocks and the Three Bears: Goatilocks doesn't just try the porridge, he eats the bowl and spoon too! And the chair, and the bed. Oh no! What will happen when the bears get home?!  

For more modern fairy tales, swing by Kindergarten Planet or the Kindergarten Connection. Next week's Must Read must-haves: back to school books.


4 comments:

  1. I love The Three Ninja Pigs! I haven't heard of Ninja Red Riding Hood-I will have to check that one out because it looks really cute! Thanks for sharing! Kristi Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all the book choices you shared! It's too funny how many of the same books we shared!! I'm definitely adding 'Bubba the Cowboy Prince' and 'Cinderelephant' to my Wish List!
    Thank you so much for sharing such awesome book choices with us, I had a great time reading about them! Have a wonderful week!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these ninja books! I need to add Cinderelephant to my wishlist...I love all things Cinderella!
    http://theprimarypineapple.blogspot.com/2015/08/must-read-mondayon-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachael! Thanks so much for sharing! All of the books you shared are new to me, but others in the MRM link up have mentioned some of them. I am going to look for the set from Scholastic when school is back in session. Those all sound adorable! Thanks for sharing :)

    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top