Must Read Monday: Holiday Books

3 comments

Welcome back for a brand new Must Read Monday, hosted by Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection. This week's focus: Holiday Books.

Now, I LOVE holidays. When someone says "holiday books," I'm thinking everything from Halloween to New Years. It all kind of runs together during the fall semester, so I thought I would include a couple favorites for each holiday. 

The Old Lady booksI've blogged about these before. There's seriously one for every holiday. I love these because, when the kids get squirrelly just before a holiday, these books help to bring them down off the ceiling. Their repetitive nature makes them great for read alouds and retell practice.

                             

'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving…Another I've blogged about before, but such a cute book about preparing for Thanksgiving. In this story, the kids save the turkeys from becoming dinner and invite them over as guests instead. It follows the same story structure as 'Twas the Night before Christmas, but with much more modern language.


Thanks for Thanksgiving…I like this one so much I've accidentally bought multiple copies. We usually read this just before discussing and writing what we are thankful for. It's the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving unit. 


Mater Saves Christmas…This is not your ordinary Christmas story. My boys go NUTS over this book, especially if I read it in the movie characters' voices. This is my "It's the week before Christmas and a full moon too" life saver. Yeah, it's that good at getting and keeping their attention. (Don't worry, your girls will like it, too. And if yours are anything like mine were, they'll get a kick out of how into the book the boys are!)


Llama Llama Holiday Drama…We read this one the second week in December. The kids are beginning to get overwhelmed with excitement at that point and this book helps them to regroup. We talk about calming strategies again and how we can use them during this exciting time of the year. 


Squirrel's New Year's Resolution…As soon as we get back from winter break, we read this book, talk about what resolutions are, and make our own goals for the new year. If I had planned better, we would have revisited our resolutions more and tracked our progress. Next year, I'll do better. :-/


There are obviously TONS more, but we'd be here all day. Go stop by Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection for some more great holiday books.

What are some of your favorites? Let me know in the comments below.



3 comments:

  1. I love the Old Lady books! They are always a classroom favorite! I can totally see the boys in my classroom LOVING Mater Saves Christmas - I may just have to add that to my collection! :) Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squirrel's New Year's Resolution is one that I always read after coming back from our Winter break! That is one of the only books that I know of with a New Year's theme for little ones! Thanks so much for sharing your favorites!
    ~Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the Old Lady books. I love how there are so many that you can read in your classroom year round. I haven't heard of the squirrel New Year's book - and come to think of it, haven't read any New Year's themed books. I need to check that one out. Thanks so much for sharing your favorites this week!
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top