Five for Friday (8/28/15)

2 comments

Happy Friday, y'all! I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the weekly Five for Friday linky. This was our first week of school. I think my feet and legs are going to fall off. I'm doing good to stay up till 9:00. Anyone else with me?


Obviously, most of the week was devoted to procedures. We took time to practice EVERYTHING: walking, sitting, taking turns talking (thank you talking sticks!), using glue sticks, holding scissors…We even started going over center expectations and choices.



We practiced three math partner games: roll and cover, bump, and war. They did great! As squirrelly as they were, they picked up directions right away and helped each other when they got stuck. I introduced roll and cover on Wednesday, bump on Thursday, and War on Friday. Then, after they got the hang of War, they were able to begin choosing partner games for the rest of math time. I loved it because it was so easy to see where my students are academically and what we need to work on right away.


For reading centers, I introduced ball words, writing center, and word work. They LOVE ball words and the writing centers from Seusstastic was a HUGE hit!



We even did our first science experiment today. (Sorry, I forgot to get a picture!) We talked all week about what a scientist is and does, and tools scientists use. We also set up our science notebooks.


And…today we did our first directed drawing. We needed practice following directions and it made for a perfect fun Friday activity. We did the directed drawing first, then we wrote about our robot.



One of my guys has struggled to stay focused on anything work related for the last two years, BUT he was able to focus on this, AND he did it with flying colors! Thank you First Grade Blue Skies!


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great first week!!! I need to look into directed drawing...my kiddos definitely need extra practice with following directions! :)
    Moore to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhhhh....I love your class! You had such wonderful activities, and I can't wait to read more to come!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top