What Worked Well Wednesday (7/29/15)

9 comments

Hey, y'all! I'm linking up with the Kinder Tribe gals (and guys) for our first ever What Worked Well Wednesday. 

We all know that a big part of teaching is trial and error. Sometimes things work great the first time around, sometimes…not so much. Rather than reinvent the wheel, we thought we'd share out some things that worked well for us, and, hopefully, will for you too. 

One thing that helped me out considerably was color coding just about everything. I started with my guided reading books. I use Reading A-Z books so I can easily make new copies if one gets lost or damaged. But, finding the right level quickly can be tough. So…I used different colors of duct tape to keep each level organized. Pink is reading level A, purple is B, lime is C, etc. 


The ones that look like they are not marked are printed in landscape so the tape is on the side, not the front. It also made it easy for parents to know when their child is moving up reading levels.


I used the same type of idea for the kids' notebooks. We had a notebooks for science, math, and poetry. Keeping them all straight was tough before I started doing this. Now I put a piece of tape on the spine of the notebook so they know which color to grab: pink for poetry, green for science, and purple for math. Sooooooo much easier than trying to get some of my lower ones to read the word. (I want them to, but developmentally some are just not ready at the beginning of the year.)



So, those are my favorite time savers and tricks. Swing by Kinder Tribe and see what other amazing ideas are out there.

9 comments:

  1. I love your color coding system using duck tape. I also love to color code in my classroom but it can be expensive by purchasing colored file folders, notebooks, etc. Duck tape is a fantastic idea!
    123kteach

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an easy, but useful way to keep things organized. I love colour coding, but only have for duotangs because students brought in different colours. I will have to try this with my students notebooks. Thanks for sharing :)
    @ Wiley Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE love love color and organization! Thanks for sharing!

    @Youngskinders

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This is BRILLIANT! Thank you so much for sharing. I am off to buy some duck tape!!! Thanks for linking up!
    My Fabulous Class

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love color coding things and NEVER thought of using duck tape!! love all the great tips I am learning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea to use Duct Tape!! There are so many different colors and styles and patterns I don't think you could ever run out!! We use Reading A-Z too, and I never thought about using Duct Tape to color code them to make it easier to differentiate between them!! Thank you so very much for sharing such a wonderful idea with us!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's definitely a good way to keep track of your A-Z Readers! I just keep mine in file folders in my file cabinet. This is a much more fun way! :)

    Carlee Van Ness
    The Kindergarten Press

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I used different colors and it was easy to understand "green math journal" rather than having to flip through and see which one was which! I am going to try that on my leveled readers this year, thanks so much for the idea!

    Deirdre
    Mrs. Garcia's Super Scholars!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top