Tell all Tuesday: My Dream Classroom

10 comments

Happy Tuesday, y'all! Welcome back for another Tell all Tuesday, hosted by Teach Talk Inspire and My Day in K. This week's topic: My Dream Classroom. 


Now, when someone says "dream," I am a go big or go home kind of dreamer. So, if we're talking my absolute dream classroom, I'd have to start here: 


This is a school in Japan and it's one big open space. Kids can explore all over the place and move as they need to. Trees grow through the building and children are able to climb them without all the adults panicking. There are some safety nets, but children are allowed to explore and take risks while building gross motor skills and core strength. 


I love the natural wood and earthy feel of the classrooms. The classrooms are open air and children are free to roam. 


One article states: "So, as kindergarteners, they're bound to run off in a huff or out of excitement once in awhile. Don't you have to contain them? According to the principal, no, you do not. 'If the boy in the corner doesn't want to stay in the room, let him go. He'll come back eventually…because it's a circle.' They leave and they come back, it's a natural process." 



Because of the design of the school and the school's philosophy, they produce very athletic and active kids compared to other kindergartens. Their students run an average of 2.5 miles a day.  The picture below shoes one child's path in just 20 minutes. 


Now, I'm not moving to Japan any time soon, but I LOVE  the freedom and child-centernednes of this school. How does this apply to our traditional American classrooms? I know this style is way outside the box, but there are some practical ways we can utilize these concepts in our classrooms. We can start by letting them have some fresh air, a little freedom to make choices and coach them in handling the consequences, and give them room to practice gross motor skills. We can use natural materials in our rooms such as wicker baskets instead of plastic tubs. We can hang their work with simple strings instead of fancy clips. And we can eliminate a lot of the flash and bling which is distracting for littles, and focus instead on creating a calming, natural environment. 

Maybe I'm weird, but this would be my dream classroom. I may not be able to make this happen state-side, but I can use some of the elements from this school in my own classroom. 

Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to check out some of the other dream rooms. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of that school in Japan! What an awesome concept! Social play is so important, and what a great way to improve those motor skills!
    Thank you so much for sharing your dream classroom with us, I had a great time learning about it!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael
    I love that the kids are free to walk it off and calm down on their own. I had a special friend last year that would have grown so much from this. What a great school!! I'd be willing to move to Japan with you if you need a buddy! I don't think I could talk my husband into it.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing school!!
    Kimberlee
    It’s Kinder Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's go! (I don't think my family would be on board either, no matter how much they like Asian food.)

      Delete
  3. Oh My Goodness!! That is amazing! I've never seen anything like that, but it makes so much sense. I hate that we have to confine kids to one space. Japan really does have some great ideas on how to teach children! :)

    -Megan
    X is for Apple

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO cool! I'd never heard of a school like this! Thanks for sharing and opening my eyes to a new philosophy and concept!
    Erin
    Very Perry Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll co-teach with you here! I'm a big fan of the Reggio classes in Italy as well, which have a lot of similarities to the Japan school you showcased.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently found that school in Japan, too! It's absolutely amazing and I agree, a total dream! Thanks for sharing!
    Andrea
    Always Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing set up!!! And I absolutely LOVE the natural wood!!! I love that your dream is this big!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachael, WOW that is certainly a dream classroom. Love the open space and the set up of it. Thank you for sharing. Also, thanks for linking up, you had great ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top