Spotlight Saturday (7/18/15)

4 comments

Happy Saturday, y'all! Welcome back for another Spotlight Saturday, hosted by Erin from Kindergarten Dragons. In case you haven't heard, Spotlight Saturday is where we showcase some amazing resources for our classrooms. 

If you're like me, back to school is on the brain. One of my favorite getting to know you activities is this free selfie printable from Scholastic. There are three phones per page, so each student would need two pages if you use it like their example. (Sorry, I don't have a picture of my students using them last year, but they absolutely loved it!)


I had my students draw a self-portrait and their favorite foods, colors, people, etc. You could even have your students draw themselves following the rules (being safe, being respectful, etc.).

And if you teach kindergarten or pre-k, you probably use Chicka Chicka Boom Boom at the beginning of the year to introduce letters. Our school has done alphabet scavenger hunts at the end of the unit where we place letters all over the school and, as a class, go find them. This year, I made my own set of letters (because boring letters are just…boring). You can get a set of your own here or by clicking on one of the pictures. 




There are three ways to play:
1. Place the cards around the school or classroom and go on a letter hunt.
2. Play memory, matching the capital and lower case.
3. Play a letter recognition game by placing the cards in a pile and drawing one at a time. If the student can read it, they get to keep it. If they can't, they put it back. If they daw an "Aw, coconuts!" they have to put all their cards back.

I'll be using these whole group with the letter hunt, then putting them in a center for the first few weeks of school. If some of my littles are still struggling with letter recognition later on, we'll play "Aw, coconuts" after they've matured enough to be okay with putting cards back in games (not easy at the beginning of the year).

I hope these resources helped you out or gave you some ideas of your own. Please swing by Kindergarten Dragons for some more great resources!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, what a great post!
    Loved both ideas. I just went to Scholastic to grab the template. Thank you for sharing!
    What a great idea to have a letter scavenger hunt after reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!
    Tweets From Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the scavenger hunt idea!! That would be such a fun way to end the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Unit! Then I could have them sort them by capital and lower-case!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable is that freebie!!! I love it! What a fabulous spotlight !!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful Spotlight!! Thank you so much for sharing about that awesome Scholastic freebie, I'm definitely going to scoop that up for this year!! What a great resource to share, perfect for lots of different grade levels!! That letter scavenger hunt sounds so incredibly fun!! I bet your LIttles love getting to explore the school searching for the letters, and it's so awesome how the cards can be used in three different ways!!
    Thank you so much for linking up for Spotlight Saturday, you shared some incredible activities!! I had a great time reading about them!! Have a wonderful week!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top