Must Read Monday: Rhyming

6 comments

Mondays in the summer are so much better than Mondays the rest of the year aren't they? I LOVE teaching and I love being with my littles, but there is just something about Mondays, don't you think? This Monday we're talking about rhyming books. 

One of my FAVORITE rhyming books is Hiccupotamas. In this book, the hippo gets the hiccups which disturb his friends around him. At first, they become upset, then they decide to help. In the end, his hiccups are gone, but his friends end up with them! The rhymes are forced in this story and they are HILARIOUS. My kids are always either really entranced or laughing out loud. It is such a fun read aloud. 


Dr. Seuss is a classic example of rhyming books. We spend a whole week on just Dr. Seuss in March, but one of my all-time favorites is There's a Wocket in my Pocket. We focus on using your imagination in your writing when we read this book, then we do a "What's in your pocket?" craft. 


I also use Mr. Brown Can Moo to talk about onomatopoeia. The kids were ALL OVER this book and one reading resulted in sound words in EVERYTHING they wrote (whether they needed them or not lol). 

Giraffes Can't Dance is a super cute book I just found. Gerald the giraffe wants to dance with the other animals, but he finds out he moves to a different beat. Once he discovers his song, he becomes the best dancer around. It's a great starting point for discussing being nice to those who march to a different beat and being patient with yourself in finding your rhythm. 


In the spirit of back to school, Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten is a classic back to school rhyming book.


Room on the Broom and Five Little Pumpkins are a couple of my favorite Halloween rhyming stories.



And while I'm on holiday stuff, let's not forget 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving. Told like 'Twas the Night before Christmas, this story depicts the saving of the Thanksgiving turkeys by a colorful class of kids. It's worrisome for a moment, so give your class a heads up before you read, but it has a happy ending so there is no need to worry. (I had twins one year that were very upset at first—disclaimers are your friends!) 

I hope I introduced you to at least one new book. Stop by next week for our just for fun books. Now swing by Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection for more great read alouds. 


6 comments:

  1. These all look like a great variety of books. I absolutely love Dr. Seuss books. Hiccupotamas is new to me. It looks like it would be very cute and I could see why the kids would love it. I will have to add it to my collection! Thanks for sharing! Kristi Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hiccupotomus! Such a cute book... also in love with Miss Bindergarten! I need to check out Giraffes can't dance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your choices!! 'Hiccupotomus' is such an adorable book, do you also have 'Chimpansneeze'? Same author, super adorable!!! I picked 'Giraffes Can't Dance' too, that's a popular one this week!! Your Dr. Seuss choices are super, love Mr. Brown!! And of course Miss Bindergarten is amazing!!
    I've not heard of 'Room on the Broom' I'll definitely be checking that one out!!
    Thank you so much for sharing such great book choices, I loved reading about them all!!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of "Chimpansneeze!' I'll have to check it out! Thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete
  4. Hiccupotamus is so fun! In reading the comments it looks like I need to check out Chimpansneeze too! :) Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Hiccupotamus is new to me. It sounds fabulous and I will be sure to check that out! I also LOVE Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving. That is one of my all time favorite books - ever! I will be adding that to our holiday must read post for sure! I enjoyed reading about your selections :)
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top