Must Read Monday: Just for Fun

5 comments

Happy, happy Monday! (I can be this perky about Monday because we are still on summer vacation! Ha!) This week, our focus is on just for fun books. Honestly, just for fun books are my favorite! Sometimes, we need to read just for the fun of reading, with no strings or lessons attached. I feel like these books are the ones that bond our class together because they are usually silly and leave us all in a good mood.

There Was an Old Lady…books I LOVE the Old Lady books. You know, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Rose, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell…there's a TON of them. We read these books all year long and the kids LOVE when I pull out a new version for whatever season we're in. (They think it's all for fun, but we really read them for story retell practice.)



Mercy Watson to the Rescue This is one we read toward the end of the school year, usually on a day when the big kids are testing and we're supposed to be quiet (yeah, right) all day. It's hilarious and full of colorful pictures. It's a short chapter book, but feels like a picture book. I let the kids lay down and get all comfy, and we can usually ready the whole thing in one sitting (unless they are REALLY antsy and we have to split it up).

If you haven't met Mercy yet, she is a pig the "only child" of Mr. and Mrs. Watson. The family wakes up one morning to find their bed is sinking through their floor of their bedroom and are afraid of falling through. Mercy jumps off the bed and takes off. Mr. and Mrs. Watson think she is going to get help, but Mercy is really on a hunt for some pancakes. In a hilarious string of events, Mercy does get them help, but not intentionally.


Tiger Can't Sleep I LOVE this book and I love doing the voice of Tiger. Tiger lives in a little boy's closet and keeps him up at night with all his noise making. The boy gets frustrated with all of Tiger's antics, but in the end, Tiger admits that he's afraid of the dark, so the boy lets him sleep in his bed. So cute and sweet!



I Love You, Stinky Face I think I love this one because it reminds me of my son. The child in this book is stalling bedtime (Jay does this ALL THE TIME) by asking Mom, "Would you still love me if…" I was a dinosaur, I was a swamp monster, I was a super-smelly skunk, etc. Sometimes, we just need a book to distract us and help us regroup. This is one of my go-tos.
What are some of your favorites? Link up with us at Kindergarten Planet or the Kindergarten Connection, or leave me a comment below. Next week's book list: Holiday books.

5 comments:

  1. What a great list of books! I love the Old Lady books too. I haven't heard the Tiger Can't Sleep book. It sounds cute and I bet it is fun using the tiger voice. :-) Kristi Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful list of books! I LOVE all the Old Lady books, the kiddos get such a kick out of everything she gorges herself on!! I had never heard of your #2 and #3 choices, I'm definitely going to be checking them out, thank you so much for sharing them!! It's so awesome that you use a 'tiger' voice!! I change my voice when reading certain stories, too!
    Thank you so much for sharing your Just for Fun books, I had such a great time reading about some new books! I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the Old Lady books and Stinky Face, but the other ones are new to me. I am looking forward to checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these books are so cute! Stinky Face is going right in my amazon cart tonight! :)
    Thanks!!

    Laura ~ First Grade SPies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Old Lady books!! I haven't read Tiger Can't Sleep - it sounds so fun! That is definitely going on my list! Thanks so much for sharing your favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top