Must Read Monday: Cooperation

3 comments

Happy Must Read Monday! Today's topic: Cooperation.

In case you're just joining us, Must Read Monday is a weekly linky to share ideas about different read alouds. Each week has a different theme. This whole thing was organized by the fabulous Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection. I have to say, I love seeing what everyone's go-to books are for different topics. 

Cooperation can be a very challenging skill to learn when you're little, especially those still in the "me" phase. But we have great resources to get us started.

One book we read at the beginning of every school year is The Crayon Box that Talked. The colors start off arguing and being mean to each other, but a child takes them home and makes a beautiful picture with them. As the picture begins to come together, the crayons realize that they are all pretty and that they can work together to make amazing things. This book can be used to focus on cooperation or diversity so we read it quite frequently in our classroom.


Another favorite is My Friend Rabbit. When mouse lets his friend rabbit play with his airplane, he gets it stuck in a tree. Their friends work together to get the plane down. The story is told mostly with pictures and the kids are almost always in love with this book. 

And finally, a new to me book about cooperation: Creepy Carrots. In this story, Jasper Rabbit loves to eat carrots, but the carrots did NOT love to be eaten. The carrots devised a plan to get Jasper to stop eating them: they creeped him out! They scared him so much that he finally built a fence to keep the carrots in their field, which in turn kept him out. The carrots were so excited their plan worked that they had a little carrot party. 


What are your favorite books on cooperation? Let me know!

Swing by next week for books about compassion. Now head over to Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection for some more great read alouds!. 


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Creepy Carrots! I never thought about using it to teach my students about cooperation but I sure will be using is this upcoming school year! Thanks for sharing! :)

    Jackie
    Neat Sweet & Hard to Beat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy Carrots is always a hit, especially with the boys. I hadn't thought about it as cooperation either, but it definitely works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of 'Creepy Carrots' before but it is definitely going on my Wish List, thank you so much for sharing that with us! I LOVE 'The Crayon Box that Talked' and 'My Friend Rabbit' sounds like another great one for my List!
    Thank you so much for sharing your favorite Cooperation books with us, I had a great time reading about them!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top