Must Read Monday: Compassion

7 comments

Happy Must Read Monday! Today's topic: Compassion.

In case you're just joining us, Must Read Monday is a weekly linky to share ideas about different read alouds. Each week has a different theme. This whole thing was organized by the fabulous Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection. I have to say, I love seeing what everyone's go-to books are for different topics. 

A couple of classics I use at the beginning of every year are the bucket filler books. I read them several times over the course of the first few months of school. We brainstorm ways we can be bucket fillers and how not to be a bucket dipper. Bucket Filling A to Z gives lots of great examples of bucket filling in case your littles are getting stuck. But the first step to having compassion is realizing that our words and actions affect others. These books are a perfect way of explaining that. If you don't have any bucket filling books, they are totally worth the investment. There are also read alouds on youtube and on my Pinterest board if you can't find a copy. 


Little Quack's New Friend was one of my daughter's favorites and one that makes it into the classroom every year. Frog wants to play with the ducks, but most of them say no way Jose. Little Quack is different. He plays with Frog and soon the other ducks begin to play, too. They start to realize that it's okay if they are different from each other, they can still be friends. After all, they all like to hop, jump, splash, and play in the mud. What could be better?


I know I've posted about this one before, but it is such a great book for little learners: Some Monsters are Different. Monsters come in all shapes and sizes, with all types of strengths and weaknesses. This book is an excellent way to teach compassion and understanding of others. Any time any student begins to single someone out because of a characteristic they can't control, we read this book and the behavior stops. I don't know how I got through my first couple of years teaching without it.


What are your favorite books for teaching compassion? Have you read any of these before?

Stop by next week for all about rhyming books (where do we begin?!). Now swing by Kindergarten Planet and the Kindergarten Connection for some more great ideas!


7 comments:

  1. You shared some really great books! The Bucket Filler books are so great, our guidance counselor reads them to our classes every year and our kinders enjoy filling each other's buckets! I LOVE Little Quack, but that's one I don't have so on the Wish List it goes!! Thank you so much for sharing about Some Monsters are Different, I added that book to my collection the last time you wrote about it!!
    Thank you so much for sharing your favorites with us, I really enjoy reading about new works of children's literature!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a confession to make. I have never read a Bucket Filler book. Ever. I know the concept, have seen entire classroom management systems based on it, but just haven't ever picked up the title myself. I'm glad you suggested the youtube read alouds. Maybe it's time to see what I've been missing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo...I need to get a copy of Some Monsters Are Different! That sounds like a great book for back to school! Thanks for sharing...what great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have the bucket filler for kids and it is such a sweet story for young ones. They really get it. I also like that there are you tube videos. I wasn't aware so I am glad you shared that info. Thanks so much for linking up with us!

    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really good books! I have always heard about the bucket filler books but have never gotten them. I will have to add them to my list! Kristi Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Thanks for sharing your favorites! I don't have "Little Quack's New Friend" OR "Some Monsters Are Different." I will definitely need to add those to my wish list! They look great for this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read Some Monsters Are Different! Thank you!!
    Mrs.B's Classroom Adventures

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top