Spotlight Saturday (6/27/15)

3 comments

Welcome back to Spotlight Saturday! Our host for this weekly linking is Miss Erin from Kindergarten Dragons. If you haven't heard yet, Spotlight Saturday is where we spotlight some of our favorite products and resources for our classrooms. 

This week, I want to share out about our little classroom friend: the Wordapillar. I saw this online and I had to make one for my class. This is a super fun way to practice sight words—no yucky flashcards falling on the floor or being misplaced. The kids can grab a pointer between daily five rotations, or when the phone rings during a lesson, and the whole class can practice together. They don't even need me! They can run this whole thing on their own! :) 


We start off the beginning of the school year with just a head (don't worry, the actual file has his antenna, it just got cut off in the picture) and, each time we introduce a new word, we add it to his body. By the end of the school year, he's quite long and windy but the kids are pros at reading them. Every once in awhile, I like to rearrange the words so they don't get in the habit of memorizing them. 



And while we're beginning to think about going back to school (sorry, I know some of us just finished), let's talk early math centers. I love using play dough for number and letter formation, counting, making shapes, and anything else I can think of. So…I made these play dough mats for making numbers 1-10. You could use play dough, counters, coins, or those cute little erasers at the Target dollar spot—whatever you want! You can get them for FREE in my TpT store. Just click on any of the pics below. 




I hope you enjoy this little freebie. Stop by next Saturday for another Spotlight session and swing by Kindergarten Dragons to see what other resources teachers have found. Have a Happy Saturday!



3 comments:

  1. Two awesome ideas! I love the Wordapillar. We aren't supposed to hang much up on our walls due to the fire code, but he is nice and skinny and I have the perfect spot to put one. Thanks also for the play dough mats - they will be perfect for my kindergarteners :)
    Andrea
    Maternelle avec Mme Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with that Wordapillar! What a great idea to have the kiddos practice their sight words, and I love that they can become independent with reading them! I think it would look so cute wrapped around the classroom door! Thank you so much for sharing such a great freebie for the beginning of the year, my kinders have always loved all things Play-Dough related so I know these mats will be a huge hit this year!
    Thank you so much for linking up and sharing such awesome products and ideas! I had a great time reading about them!! Have a wonderful week!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely adore your wordapillar such a cute, great and fun activity! Loving your spotlight saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top