Spotlight Saturday (6/20/15)

5 comments

Happy Saturday, y'all! Welcome back to another installment of Spotlight Saturday, hosted by the fabulous Erin from Kindergarten Dragons. In this weekly linky, we are spotlighting some of our favorite products, tips, and tricks for the classroom. 

This week, I want to introduce you to Reagan Tunstall's Rise and Shine folders


If you need morning work your students can do independently, this is your resource. You make your copies at the beginning of the year, put them in plastic sleeves and then in a binder or folder, and the kids use dry erase marker to fill it in. It includes skills such as writing the date, numbers to 100 (or 120), practicing letters and sight words, money, and so much more. And it's easy to add to it and differentiate it. 

I have done this for two years in my classroom and **most** (read all but, like, 2) of students loved it. I love it because it doesn't require lots of copies each week. You set it up once and you're done. None of this, "OMG what are we doing for morning work?!" business. 

For kindergarten, it took a lot of hand holding in the beginning to get them going, but once they were comfortable with it, we were all set. First grade should be able to be independent with this pretty quickly. 

For more detailed info, head over to Reagan's blog and check it out. 

One of my other go-to resources is Marsha McGuire's Ball Words set.

Each set has 3 EDITABLE levels for sight word recognition. There are a total of 12 levels: level 1 is letter recognition, and 2-12 are sight words. Each student works on the level that they are ready for, and each level has a certificate of completion and an award to hang on the wall. The letter recognition level is bananas and the rest are sports balls, each level having a different sports theme. 

This was the beginning of the year, when we first introduced them. I used primarily this for Word Work and occasionally supplemented with seasonal things. Usually, they were so motivated to advance levels that they really didn't worry about the seasonal fun stuff!


As they completed word lists, they added the ball for that level to the wall.

The level board wrapped around the room. This was where we were in January. That's 3 kids who finished level 7 (all their letters and 120 sight words, in kinder! In January!).


For more info about this set, check out Differentiated Kindergarten's blog. She has some AMAZING resources. 

Thanks for stopping by, and don't forget to come by next week for another addition of Spotlight Saturday. 

See what other great resources are out there by checking in with Kindergarten Dragons and have a great weekend!


5 comments:

  1. I use the Rise & Shine binder, too! I'm moving to second grade from first grade this year. I think it will be a great thing for my second graders.
    Mrs.B's Classroom Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your spotlight saturday! The binder looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That binder sure is an awesome resource to have! What a great way to not have to worry about making copies or having enough copies! Plus it saves paper, so way to be Green!! I LOVE that letter recognition/sight word packet that you're using! I bet your kinders feel so empowered when they are able to add their name to the wall!! What a fun way to learn sight words!!
    Thank you so much for linking up again and Spotlighting such amazing resources! I really appreciate you linking up and sharing such great products! I hope you have an amazing week!!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    www.kinderdragons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for highlighting my Ball Words Rachael. I'm so delighted you like them.
    Marsha
    A Differentiated Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Between the Ball Words and the Speed Readers, my kinders were challenged all year. They loved moving up levels and charting their progress. I had never before had kids asking me to be tested on sight words until I started this. They absolutely loved it.
      Rachael

      Delete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top