Must Read Monday: Math Books

5 comments

Happy Monday! It's summer so I hope no one has a "case of the Mondays." I'm partnering up with the Kindergarten Connection and Kindergarten Planet to bring you another edition of Must Read Monday. This week's focus is on math books.

In kindergarten, we spend a LOT of time on number recognition and counting. Some of my favorite books to introduce these skills are:




I usually read Chicka Chicka 123 the same week we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and we do a little comparison of the texts. 123 Peas is another cute intro to counting. And The April Rabbits is out of print (I think) but there are a few on Amazon from independent sellers still. In this book, the main character sees one rabbit on the first of April, two on the 2nd, 3 on the 3rd, and so on. On the last day of April he doesn't see any rabbits, anywhere. BUT, a hippo follows him home. Dun, dun, DUN...

I found this super cute book, Pick a Circle, Gather Squares,  about shapes we see in the fall. We read the book together, then made these super cute fall shape trees. The back of the tree has the number of each type of shape used (8 circles, 17 squares, etc)



We do activities like this throughout the year. We've made shape scarecrows, shape turkeys, shape sandcastles, etc. Thank goodness for die cut machines! 

If you haven't seen Math Start books yet, you should definitely check them out. They have books to cover nearly every topic. 


I was luck enough to have inherited a set from another teacher. They have topics for counting, adding, subtracting, the 100th day of school, capacity, size, time, etc. And they're not seasonal, so when the curriculum map changes, they can still be used! 

I hope at least one of these book is new to you or gives you some ideas. Swing by next week for books on cooperation. Now, head over to the Kindergarten Connection and Kindergarten Planet for more great math books!


5 comments:

  1. LOVE Math Start books!!! I shared about those in my post too! They are so great for teaching different math concepts and my students always love them! Your fall shape tree is adorable!! Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~Heather :)
    Recipe for Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! Pick a circle, Gather Squares looks really neat! I love the project you do with it! The MathStart books look amazing! I think I will have to talk to my principal about getting some! :) Thank you! ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shared some AMAZING books!! I LOVE '123 Peas', there's an ABC book from the Peas too. We use that in comparing the two books. I also love the 'Pick a Circle, Gather Squares' book, we enjoy reading that one in the fall. I really love the project you have your kiddos complete after reading the book, what a great idea! Math Start books are GREAT, I shared one on my post this week too!!
    Thank you so much for sharing such awesome math books with us, I had a great time reading your post!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachael,
    We just got the Math Start series this year. My principal ordered a set for my kinder colleagues and me so we shared them and I found them to be very useful and appropriate. I also LOVE 1, 2, 3 Peas! Cute book! I don't know Pick a Circle, Gather Squares, but it sounds cute and the art project is adorable. We may be doing that this autumn! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up!
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I love your shape trees!! I will definitely need to order that book and do that project - how fun!! I also need to order 123 peas. Thanks for sharing - I am so glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top