Must Read Monday: Friendship

6 comments

Happy Monday and welcome back for another installment of Must Read Monday, hosted by Kindergarten Planet and The Kindergarten Connection. This week's series is all about friendship books. 

When thinking about this series, I decided to focus on books that teach children HOW to be a good friend, not just friends in general. So…

First up is Llama Llama and the Bully Goat. Little Llama has a friend at school that needs help learning how to be a good friend. It is so super cute and the kids totally get the message. We've had several discussions on the Bully Goat's behavior and why what he did was not ok. In the end the Bully Goat tries hard and makes good choices.


Another good one is Some Monsters are Different. This one helps children understand why some friends act differently than others and that those differences are okay. My class this year was never (like really, NEVER) quiet except when we read this book. They were much more accepting of our different little monsters after that, too. :)


Clark the Shark is a funny little guy who has trouble with self control. His teacher, Miss Inky-dink, helps him to get control of himself so that he can make good choices and be a good friend. In the end of both books, Clark uses those skills to help others with the same struggles.

      

And finally, Billy Bully is a tough little guy who needs guidance in taking turns and being a team player. Billy loses friend after friend as he makes choices that upset others. When his friends all refuse to play with him, he begins to change his tune. He shares and takes turns with each of his classmates until they call come back to play with him again. 


If you're ever needing a social story about anything, just let me know. I've got a hundred of them. Be sure to stop by next Monday for our Must Read Math books and check in with Kindergarten Planet and The Kindergarten Connection

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael! I enjoyed reading your post and learning about some new books. These seem like they would be great reads in my kindergarten classroom next year. I really like the Llama llama books, though I don't know the one you mentioned. I do now though! Thanks for linking up with us :)
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Clark the Shark series!! Great post! :)
    MissSarahsoda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shared some awesome books! I LOVE llama llama and the bully goat, we read that one every year during Bully Prevention Week! Clark the Shark is awesome, and my boys especially love to read about him, which works 'cause it's usually my boys who need that lesson the most!! I have never heard of Some Monsters are Different or Billy Bully, but they are definitely going on my Must Have Lists! Thank you so much for sharing such awesome books!!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    www.kinderdragons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cool books! So many new ideas! "Some Monsters are Different" reminds me of one we read recently, "Tyrannosaurus WRECKS!" It could have been a narrative of one of my babies- kinda destructive and hurtful,but his friends accept him anyway. Thanks for sharing!

    Deirdre
    Mrs. Garcia's Super Scholars

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your books sound great and are all new to me! I have so many books and love finding new ones! Looks like I'm going to have to do some book shopping thanks to your awesome suggestions!!!
    ~Heather :)
    Recipe for Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for linking up! I love how you shared books that help with learning about how to be friend - that is so important, especially in the early primary years! I love Llama books! :) I am thinking I want to order some Clark Shark books- I don't own any of them! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top