Must Read Monday (6/15/15)

2 comments

Hello there! Welcome to the first installment of Must Read Monday. Hosted by none other than The Kindergarten Connection and Kindergarten Planet. Each week we will be sharing our favorite read alouds, with a different theme each time. This week's theme is End of the Year books. 

I can't pick just one. 
I can't. 
I love to read.
 I love to read children's books
And I love to share those books with my class. 
Picking one favorite for the end of the year just wasn't possible. 
So here goes: 


Oh the Places You'll Go: An obvious choice, a classic, and one I can't do without at the end of the year. It works for every grade level and every transition in life. You just can't go wrong with this one. 


Junie B. Jones is a Graduation Girl: I love me some Junie B. This girl cracks me up I tell ya'. My kinders are always full of questions about graduation, so to lighten the mood a little and give them some insight, we talk about our own graduation coming up and read a little Junie B. with it. My kinders relate to her antics and since we don't wear gowns, I don't worry about any of them pulling the stunt she pulls. ;-) 


Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the Last Day of Kindergarten: An ABC story about what the last day of school is like. Her students put away their things, clean up all their stuff, and celebrate on the last day. I usually read this a day or two before the last day to prepare my littles and we talk about what happens after the last day of kindergarten. Which brings us to:


The Night Before First Grade: Told The Night Before Christmas style, this story shows the reader what going into first grade may be like. The main character lays out her clothes and makes her lunch the night before. She's prepared herself for being in the same class as her best friend. But when she gets to school, she and her best friend are in separate classes. She handles it well, goes to her new class, makes new friends, and loves her new teacher. At lunch, she discovers her best friend has also made a new friend--and the new friends are twins! I have a set of twins in my class almost every year so this part is really thrilling, let me tell ya'. 

After we read this one, we usually make an anchor chart about what 1st grade may be like. This is a huge deal for kinders who have never moved up a grade before. This is a prettier version of this year's anchor chart: 


I'd post the original, but it's honestly not very pretty, but you get the idea. 

So those are my favorites. What are some of yours?

Check out The Kindergarten Connection and Kindergarten Planet to get some more great ideas! Be sure to join us next Monday for Must Read Books about Friendship. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your anchor chart idea! I definitely need to do that with my class! Love your books choices too - those are definitely on my favorites list! Thanks so much for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachael! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing some of your favorite reads. I find it hard to pick one also!!!! I can't! I really like "The Night Before" books as well and though we talk about what is the same and different - I have never made a chart. I love that idea!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top