Learn Like a Pirate: Chapter 1

4 comments


It is summer book study time! Yesterday, I linked up with Kindergarten Smorgasbord's book study on Teaching with Intention. Today, I'm all about Learning Like a Pirate! I'm linking up with The Primary Gal for a study on student-lead learning. Both books are AMAZING. Just sayin'. Add them to your summer reading list. You won't regret it.

So, the first chapter is pretty short and to the point. Student-led classrooms are not dictated by the student. Meaning the students don't decide what to learn and when to learn it. Standards are still in place, and the teacher is more of the facilitator rather than the lecturer. "A student-led classroom is one in which students make decisions and choices throughout the day without consulting the teacher."  Everyone has equal power, but the teacher has the final say.

The goal is for students to take more responsibility and ownership over their learning. Gone are the days from the 80's where knowledge can be "poured into" a student. With this ever changing world we live in, students must begin to take initiative for their learning and develop strong leadership skills.

Paul Solarz says, " Going against the flow isn't easy." Your classroom may not look like everyone else's classroom. And you know what? That's okay. Your classroom should be as unique as you and your students. I don't know about you, but a classroom with students who take initiative for their learning is much more appealing to me than a "sit and get" kind of class.

I can't wait to read more of this awesome book. (Also check out Teach Like a Pirate, too, if you're needing more piratey-type books on your list.) Be sure to visit us next Thursday for Chapter 2.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating in the "Learn Like a PIRATE" book study Rachael! I really enjoyed reading this post & look forward to reading your future posts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in on my book study! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the book so far. I love how you refer to "pouring" in information to our kids. I seriously think that many of my parents believe that this is how kids learn these days. Ummm, no! Kids don't learn in that style nor is it the most beneficial for the 21st century. I can't wait to further develop my student-led classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my teacher in early elementary talking about "pouring into" us. My how times have changed!

      Delete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top