Five for Friday (6/26/15)

5 comments

Happy Friday, y'all. This week's been a doozie down here in Texas. You know, when it rains it pours. But my momma always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." So here's five nice things for this week. (Y'all I had to try hard.) 

I am loving these book studies I'm doing. I've been linking up with some fabulous ladies (and gentlemen) to read and discuss Teaching with Intention and Learn Like a Pirate. (I'm also trying to finish the Essential 55, but I keep getting distracted.) I don't think either of these books are changing my vision for my classroom, but they are definitely helping to define my vision. If you haven't read either of these yet, I highly recommend them. (That 1-click purchase feature on Amazon is dangerously convenient!)




At a PD last summer, we shared about our "special child." The child that is the reason you teach. The one you will never forget. The child that makes you a stronger teacher and challenges you to think creatively to reach him/her. I shared about my son at that time because he was the one still at that school, but really I have five.


This was from last year and they have all grown about a foot in height. But each one is so unique and special. Each has amazing strengths, their own, individual challenges, and a creative side that can leave me speechless. For instance, I walked into the boys' bedroom to find this yesterday: 


Can't say he doesn't know how to entertain himself...
Anyone else have Vegas on the brain? We're just about ready. The kids are all going to their gradmas' houses for the week, and Ben and I have the hotel to ourselves for 6 days!!! I will miss the kids dearly and I will probably be calling to check on them everyday. But they're bigger now and these grandmas have it under control. I'm sure they'll be fine (insert worried mommy voice here).

Anyway, I've prepped as much as I can really. I've ordered business cards, a phone case, buttons, and t-shirts, printed my session handouts, organized a binder complete with handouts and itinerary, and booked everything. The countdown is on.


We booked our room through Ben's company's perks website and got 2 free tickets to Rock of Ages at the Venetian. I have been to Vegas to see family and do the local stuff, but I've never spent a significant amount of time on the strip or seen a show there. And to have a date night there is icing on the cake.


Now it's time to get something to wear! We have our last regular swim meet tomorrow, downtime (or crunch time) next week, 4th of July (which is also our oldest's birthday), and then it's go-time!

I hope with this trip, I will come back with some valuable to take my teaching and my TpT store to the next level, as well as make some lasting friendships. Whoever said teachers are lucky to have summers off never lived with a teacher. I have read, blogged, organized, and worked worked on PD and products all summer so far. And I am so excited to continue that learning in Vegas.

Are you going? What are you working on this summer? Have you had any lightbulb moments while reflecting his summer? Let me know in the comments below.

Check out Doodle Bugs Teaching to see what everyone has going on this week and stay tuned for tomorrow's Spotlight Saturday!.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy Vegas! So jealous! Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say about it, hopefully i'll be going to the one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous about your Vegas trip! Since the accident left me unable to walk temporarily, I have to skip it this year. :-( However, I'm going to get myself there next year no matter what!! :-) I can't wait to hear all about if from my blogger friends who are going!! Your kiddos are adorable, and I love that they got into the Halloween makeup (even though I think clowns are creepy) :-)!! I hope that you have an amazing week, and enjoy your date night in Vegas that looks like so much fun!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are better soon! I missed last year, but I was determined to make it work this year. Hopefully next year you and I can go together!

      His clown makeup creeps me out too. I walked into his room and saw that and I had to turn around a leave until I could pull myself together. I never know what to expect with that kid. :)

      Rachael

      Delete
  3. I hope that you have a great time in Las Vegas! I am going to the ITeachK conference, as well as the TpT conference. I live here, so I don't spend much time on the Strip either!

    Amy
    Teaching is Sweet

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top