3-2-1 Weekend Warriors (Teacher Bio)

15 comments

Hey there, y'all! It's time for Weekend Warriors! This is my first time linking up and I am so excited to share this month's theme: Teacher Bio!




1) As teachers, I think we all love colored pens. I have a collection at home, at school, in my purse, in my bag, in my suitcase…and no, my own children can't use them. They have their own!

2) I have worked with kids in some capacity for 15 years (daycares, church, special ed, soccer teams), but I have only "officially" taught kindergarten for the last 3 years.

3) At the end of the year this year, our schedules were so jam-packed that I brought back an oldie but goody: DEAR time. (Drop Everything And Read) For those of you youngin's this is essentially Read to Self, but with one key factor: EVERYONE in the class stops and reads, even the teacher. By doing this, teachers model good independent reading time by showing good independent reading. It took a little bit,  but they soon figured out that if I was reading, I would not stop and answer questions, or tie a shoe, or listen to their story about what their puppy did yesterday. We were ALL reading. And they LOVED IT. With all the craziness the end of the year brings, being able to drop everything and read was comforting to all of us. And they loved that I did it too.


1) We have five kids at home. Yes, five. We are a Brady Bunch with him having 2 and me having 3. They are all really close in age (14, 13, 12, 11, 9) and when we go places, we tend to bring the party with us. If they're hyper, we can be really overwhelming. And don't get me started on the after school schedules…

2) I just have to sing along with the radio. I can't just sit in a car and listen quietly, or not have music at all. I think I would die. I love car trips by myself because I can turn it up and belt it out in my off-key, terrible singing voice. (And I don't have to censor the songs with the bad words :) )


Travel anywhere really. I've seen most of the southern half of the U.S. and parts of the east and west coasts, but I would LOVE to go overseas and Europe is stop #1. I'm not picky, I'll go just about anywhere. My dream would be to visit London, Italy, France, Greece, Germany, Spain, you name it. With the Mr.'s job, we can fly free almost anywhere in the U.S. but not abroad and those ticket prices are a bit much for us right now. Someday we'll make it there. 

So that's me. Now it's your turn. Link up with us and share your 3-2-1 bio by grabbing the images below and adding your blog link!






15 comments:

  1. I had such a great time learning about you!! I too LOVE colored pens, like a lot! My favorites are the Papermate Flair pens, they are my go to pens for grading papers and making lists! I also am a kindergarten teacher and can't imagine teaching another grade because I love kindergarten so much! When I was in school I LOVED DEAR time, since reading is my favorite thing to do! Great job bringing it back in your classroom! I too love music, and one of my favorite things to do is cruise around with the radio up and the windows down!
    Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us, I had a great time reading and learning about you! I hope you have a great week!

    Warmest Wishes,
    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite pens are the Papermate InkJoy. They remind me of the old 70's style Bic pens, but in all the fun colors. :) I loved DEAR time growing up too, so when I saw they needed some downtime, that was my go-to!
      Rachael

      Delete
  2. Haha! I totally have multiple collections of colored pens and no one gets to use them but me! I love DEAR time, and so do my students. When I was growing up, we called it SSR. Yep, that was a while ago. ;) I hope you make it to Europe one of these days! Thank you so much for linking up with us for Weekend Warriors this month!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it being called SSR too! I love how we keep reinventing simple things like silent reading and call it something completely different, like SSR, DEAR, Daily 5. Let's just let them read, please. :)

      Rachael

      Delete
  3. It must be a teacher thing. I too have a collection of colored pens, at home and at school, and I don't like anyone else to use them. I wish we had DEAR time at my school. We did it, school wide, for Dr. Seuss week and we all went in the hallway to read, even the teachers...it was great.
    Stephanie
    Polka Dot Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds fun! I was the only one (I know of) that was doing DEAR this year at our school.

      Rachael

      Delete
  4. Ok, maybe we're family. I come from a group of five kids that also seemed a little like a party when we arrived. I love love love colored pens; it's an obsession. Staedtler fine liners are my fav! I sing along to the radio, even though I'm usually slightly off-key. Europe is on my list as well. My sister is in the Navy and just visited Poland, Germany, Estonia, and a couple of countries located on the Baltic sea. I'm so jealous right now, in a good way :) Thank you for sharing. It's nice to find others that share the same passions as I do.

    Krisanna
    Simply Secondary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we are family. I was reading your "Teacher Me" and other than our grade levels, we're almost the same. I love decorating, and I am so type A it's not even funny.

      Delete
  5. I'm truly obsessed with colored pens as well. I literally have to have a self intervention EVERY time I'm at Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, BJ's, Staples.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine how you juggle all the after school activities with your 5 kids. I only have two kids schedules to juggle and I find it to be exhausting. Bless you!!! Europe is on my bucket list too! I hope we both get to do it some day. Thanks for linking up with Weekend Warriors and sharing a bit about yourself. -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five!? Wow, I can't even imagine how you juggle it all. Thanks for sharing a little about yourself and linking up with us today! I hope you get that trip to Europe.
    Andrea
    Always Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love DEAR time! Especially with my 3rd graders! Interesting that you can still do it with your kinders! Wow 5! Bet it's never a dull moment in your household. I hope you get the chance to go and travel Europe with them! That would be such an awesome experience!

    ♥ Stephanie
    Fishing for Education Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love colored pens too, especially flair pens! I love singing in the car too :) I hope you make it to Europe soon! Thanks for linking up with us! :)

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachael! It was fabulous getting to learn all about you! WE have the same PEN addiction. What is it about those darn Flair Pens?!?!?!? Thanks so much for joining our Weekend Warriors linky. We hope to see you back again next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness - how fun to have so many kids around! They are so lucky to grow up with so many friends around! I love colored pens, too!!! We love D.E.A.R. time, too but we call it S.U.R.F. (Stop Everything and Read!)

    Slainte,
    ☘ Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete

Graphics by I Teach What's Your Superpower. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top